Position Description – Testing Technician
SmartBurn, LLC, a leading engineering consulting company based in Madison, WI, is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week) Engineering Testing Technician who will use technical skills and teamwork abilities to support consulting and engineering projects associated with utility boilers firing a range of fuels, but primarily coal. Our projects focus on improving the operational capabilities and reducing the environmental footprint of utility boilers through the application of our technology and experience, technical resources, and the proven solutions of our partners.
- Conduct and support on-site testing, sample collection and results analysis to provide the information necessary for system optimization and performance improvement of various types of combustion units.
- Develop and update the standards and procedures of specialized test equipment, and provide training for other SmartBurn team members as required. Evaluate testing results to identify and recommend changes that could potentially enhance the efficiency and accuracy of SmartBurn processes.
- Support in developing project proposals, preparing testing plan and equipment, and developing test summary and reports.
- Assist in continued equipment maintenance, calibration, and technological advancement. Develop and maintain (using lean Manufacturing principles) replacement/wear parts list.
- Additional engineering-related responsibilities are available for the right candidate who has a Bachelors Degree in an Engineering-related area.
- Associates Degree in Engineering-related area and/or two years relevant testing experience in a related field. Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related area preferred
- Customer‐focused team player who is able to work productively and professionally, and exercise good judgement and stay motivated under minimal supervision at times
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Experience and skills using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Pro‐E and/or SolidWorks a plus
- Experience and knowledge of coal‐fired boiler operations / emissions controls is a plus
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time and lift objects up to 50 pounds
- Ability to travel approximately 35% annually, with greatest needs typically in Q2 and Q3
- Valid US driver’s license